Saturday, July 18, 2009

Meghan McCain: Fighting for Republican Coolness

Meghan Marguerite McCain apparently thinks she's Carrie Bradshaw from Sex in the City. To others she seems like Paris Hilton, with the same intellectual witticisms. She's actually an extremely bright girl with a case of diarrhea of the mouth. She just doesn't know when to quit.

Her blog, the MccainBloggette, as well as her column for The Daily Beast, is chock-full of inane commentary on all sorts of topics. Her weight, what it's like on the campaign trail, being single; her attempt to make Republicans seem cool. She shouldn't bother, because she's not one.

But she calls herself a Republican who is liberal on social issues. (Just like her dad). She says, "I am a woman who despises labels and boxes and stereotypes." She calls herself a “pro-sex” woman, who is “a lot more religious than I let on. I have a great relationship with God. I was raised to love people and not judge people....”

Sure, she doesn't judge anyone. I suppose this remark about Ann Coulter was meant to be endearing. “I straight up don't understand this woman or her popularity. I find her offensive, radical, insulting, and confusing all at the same time.” She thinks Coulter is too extremist in her political views, and thinks that she is doing more harm to the party.

McCain has said she'd "be flattered to be considered the anti-Ann Coulter, the anti-Rush Limbaugh."

She says that she had changed her party registration from Independent to Republican "as a symbol of my commitment to my dad and to represent the faith I have in his ability to be an effective leader for our country and to grow and strengthen the Republican party when he is elected President of the United States."

Apparently her “commitment” is little more than symbolic, when she goes around calling Joe the Plumber a “dumbass.” Another, an example of her not judging. "Joe the Plumber -- you can quote me -- is a dumbass. He should stick to plumbing."

You may have read about her catfight with Laura Ingraham, who made a distasteful comment about McCain's weight. I can sort of see both sides here. Ingraham was doing a satire bit on Bill O'Reilly's show, in response to an article McCain wrote. She was impersonating McCain, saying, “Ok, I was really hoping that I was going to get that role in the Real World, but then I realized that, well, they don’t like plus-sized models...”

Of course this is a horrible thing to say about anyone, and certainly not true in McCain's case; but also no worse than anything the libs say about, say, Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh or anyone else they don't like. You can watch for yourself Ingraham's defense, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjRyR4WSWZ4&feature=related

McCain responded on her blog, “...Instead of intellectually debating our ideological differences about the future of the Republican Party, Ingraham resorted to making fun of my age and weight, in the fashion of the mean girls in high school.” I have a feeling that she would be no match for Ingraham in a debate.

Her book, My Dad, John McCain, came out in 2008. She also hopes to write a "satirical account" of her experiences on the campaign trail. (I wonder if she'll be more sympathetic to Ingraham as a satirist). The one thing she won't talk about is Sarah Palin, which seems to be the one break, that Palin has experienced in this election.

Speaking at The Log Cabin Republicans convention in April 2009, she shared this mantra, "I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think government is best when it stays out of people's lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And yes, I am a Republican.”

We can all breathe a sigh of relief now. Being a Republican is cool.

c. 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment